In this blog, I will answer a question from ben, who asks, “what is a good FAR Infared Protocol”?
Infrared (IR) saunas help to detoxify heavy metals and other toxic substances gently through the action of sweating caused by heat of the IR lamps. As fat cells are used as storage sites for toxins, detoxifying can help to reduce body fat levels.
The IR sauna also helps to stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system, which allows you to relax. To have good energy and optimal body fat levels, it is crucial to spend time each day in a ‘sympathetic’ or ‘relaxed’ state. So what better way than to spend it in an IR sauna with all the other benefits too?
IR saunas also enhance circulation and increase oxidation of tissues. The increase of heat also helps to decongest the internal organs via blood flow to the skin.
It is believed that IR saunas remove toxins much quicker than conventional saunas.
When To Do Them:
- Every day or as often as possible for the first six months, but at least weekly
How To Have an Infrared Sauna:
- Receive approval from your Doctor first – IMPORTANT! This especially so if you have a diagnosed condition or are taking medication. ALL saunas should be avoided if you’re pregnant!
- Do NOT exercise or have a big meal within 2 hours of having a sauna
- Preheat the sauna to approximately 100°F (40°C)
- Drink 2 glasses of water before the session
- Begin taking IR saunas for just 20 minutes each time. After a few weeks you may increase slowly to 30 or 40 minutes. Increase the session time too soon can lead to healing reactions which are not pleasant and can be dangerous. So go carefully!!!
- Wear as little as possible so the heat penetrates the skin. Wearing more than a bathing suit will greatly reduce the affects.
- Stop the session and leave the sauna if you feel very faint, if you stop sweating or if your heart starts to race.
- After the sauna take a warm shower and only use good quality skin cleansing products on your skin.
- Relax for 10-15 minutes following a sauna to allow the body to re-adjust, do not go straight back to every day duties.
- IR sauna are best used first thing in the morning or last thing at night, when you are more relaxed, which will allow you to sweat more.
- Pregnant women and young children should not use saunas.
I highly recommend having regular IR saunas, whether you are looking to stay healthy, avoid disease, increase energy or reduce body fat levels.