At last it appears that summer is finally beginning and lets hope we have no more torrential rain here in the UK.

As you are aware, many areas of the UK have been flooded over the last few months and water supplies have been cut off in many areas. Yesterday water supplies were returned to some homes. The advice is that whilst the water is safe for bathing, it is not safe for drinking or cooking with even after boiling.

So what is meant by safe? Due to the floods, the water will have been contaminated by bacteria, viruses and parasites harmful to your health. If the water is not safe to drink, then it would not be safe to ingest into the body in any form.

Bacteria, viruses and parasites are microscopic in size and can enter the body by any means. They can enter the body through the eyes, ears, mouth, nose and any other orifices and skin abrasions. Can you be certain that water will not enter your body at all whilst bathing or taking a shower?

If you are living in one of the affected areas I would think very carefully before using tap water. In addition, I would advise you not to use non-filtered tap water under normal circumstances. A reverse-osmosis filtration system and shower filter is strongly advised.

Tune in next time to find out why!